How has Canada constructed sexual values, identities and communities? How has race, economy, or international relations played a part in the construction of sexualities in Canada or among Canadians? How do we compare Canadian notions and practices of sexuality to broader continental and hemispheric ones?
NOTCHES is seeking short essays (1000 – 1500 words) exploring histories of sexuality in Canada and of Canadians. We welcome blog posts; interviews with scholars, archivists, and activists; as well as submissions to our “Archives of Desire” series in which historians reflect on specific primary sources and their value in researching or teaching histories of sexuality.
Possible topics for exploration include:
- Sex and sexuality in rural Canada
- Religion and sexuality
- Sexual identities and sexual communities, national, local and/or diasporic
- Normative and non-normative sexualities
- Inter- and intra-racial sexual relations
- Sexualities in popular culture and literature
- Sex work, intimate labour and migration
- Knowledge on sex and sex education
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Issues of sex in connection to imperialism, colonialism and post-colonialism
Style and image guidelines:
- Submissions should be written for a non-specialist and international audience. Therefore, avoid jargon and use hyperlinks wherever possible to clarify terms or concepts that may be unfamiliar to a general readership.
- Include at least one relevant image for which you have obtained permission and caption your image with clear attribution information. We also welcome your use of a range of sources such as movies or sound files.
- Include a short author bio including hyperlinks with your submission.
- For more information see our submission guidelines.
Proposals and queries are most welcome. Send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 15, 2017. All submissions to NOTCHES will go through an internal peer review process prior to publication.
NOTCHES: (re)marks on the history of sexuality is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at www.notchesblog.com.
For permission to publish any NOTCHES post in whole or in part please contact the editors at NotchesBlog@gmail.com